Frequently Asked Questions
Habitat for Humanity - MetroWest/Greater Worcester was founded in 1985 by local activists who identified the need for affordable housing opportunities in the Greater Worcester area and were committed to engaging groups of community stakeholders in solving the affordable housing problem. In 2007 we merged with the MetroWest affiliate to become Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester.
Habitat for Humanity - MetroWest/Greater Worcester offers an opportunity for community residents to partner with families in need of housing, to work side-by-side with volunteers to build homes. Habitat’s vision is where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat works toward accomplishing that vision by building strength, stability and self-reliance in partnership with local families and Veterans in need of a safe, decent and affordable home. Through shelter we empower.
- The applicant’s level of need. Families must fall into the 30 - 60% of Area Median Income.
- Their willingness to partner with Habitat. Families must give back 400 - 500 "sweat equity" hours on their project.
- They must attend financial education classes provided by Habitat.
- The family must repay a 0% interest rate mortgage.
- In addition to new construction, Habitat also renovates existing homes in our community.
- Habitat for Humanity helps people repair and improve their own homes and neighborhoods.
Habitat for Humanity affiliates are local Habitat for Humanity organizations that act in partnership with and on behalf of Habitat for Humanity International.
Each Habitat affiliate coordinates all aspects of Habitat home building in its local area. Your local affiliate is Habitat for Humanity - MetroWest/Greater Worcester.
Ashland, Auburn, Barre, Boylston, Brookfield, Charlton, Douglas, Dudley, East Brookfield, Framingham, Grafton, Holden, Holliston, Hopkinton, Leicester, Marlborough, Millbury, Natick, New Braintree, North Brookfield, Northborough, Northbridge, Oakham, Oxford, Paxton, Rutland, Sherborn, Shrewsbury, Southborough, Southbridge, Spencer, Sturbridge, Sudbury, Sutton, Upton, Uxbridge, Wayland, Webster, West Boylston, West Brookfield, Westborough, and Worcester.