Simple, Decent, Affordable Homeownership Opportunities
Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester is an equal opportunity home builder and seller. Our mission is to build homes, community, and hope. Our program serves families by providing home ownership opportunities in 42 cities and towns throughout the MetroWest and Greater Worcester regions of Massachusetts. If you are looking for affordable housing opportunities in another part of the state, or country, please click here. Habitat for Humanity is long term housing solution. Our selection, building, and selling process takes approximately 12 -24 months.
All of our homeownership opportunities have closed for applications.
Future opportunities will be announced here.
This page contains information on eligibility and the selection process for our program. If you have additional questions please contact us at: 508-799-9259 or email@example.com. Our offices are open Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, at 11 Distributor Road, Worcester, MA 01605.
If you would like to be informed of any opportunities as they become available please fill out an interest form at the bottom of the page (Click here to go to the interest form).
Habitat homes are built with generous donations, volunteer labor, and are sold to families at no profit. We convey our homes to pre-qualified families with interest-free mortgages at a price based on 30% of family income, less the estimated costs of taxes, insurance and utilities.
Are you eligible for a Habitat for Humanity Home?
If all of the items on the list below are true for you, then you will likely qualify for our homeownership opportunities:
- You are a documented resident of the United States.
- You are a first time homebuyer.
- You have a need for affordable housing (i.e. where you are is unsafe, hazardous to your health, too small for your family size, or costs more that 50% of your income).
- Your annual income falls between 30 and 60% of the Area Median Income Range for Middlesex County or Worcester County (Income eligibility chart located below).
- You are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester to become a successful home owner (Examples of partnership include participation in homeownership courses and completion of sweat equity hours on your own home or another Habitat for Humanity project).
Please Note: Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester ONLY builds homes in a specific set of cities/towns. If you are looking to live in a town not listed, please click here to find a Habitat for Humanity Affiliate serving your desired location. Our service area: Ashland, Auburn, Barre, Boylston, Brookfield, Charlton, Douglas, Dudley, East Brookfield, Framingham, Grafton, Holden, Holliston, Hopkinton, Leicester, Marlborough, Millbury, Natick, New Braintree, North Brookfield, Northborough, Northbridge, Oakham, Oxford, Paxton, Rutland, Sherborn, Shrewsbury, Southborough, Southbridge, Spencer, Sturbridge, Sudbury, Sutton, Upton, Uxbridge, Webster, Wayland, West Boylston, West Brookfield, Westborough, and Worcester.
More information on our eligibility and selection criteria:
Financial Qualification Details
Total family income is within 30% and 60% of the Area Median Income Range (listed below) based on the location of the homeownership opportunity you are applying to. In addition to income:
- Applicants must be able to afford payment of utilities, taxes, insurance, maintenance expenses and the repayment of the interest-free mortgage as well as other current debt the applicant may have.
- Projected debt payments (including the Habitat mortgage) should not be greater than 50% of the family’s monthly income.
- Household assets should not exceed $75,000.
- Applicants should not have declared bankruptcy in the past 7 years.
Income Eligibility Chart and Our Service Area by County
Click either of the above for a larger image!
Need is determined on a case by case basis, below are more examples of what need might look like:
- Problems with your current building such as rotting wood, water damage, missing floorboards, unsafe/missing handrails, inadequate heating, electricity, plumbing, etc.
- Overcrowding: more than 3 family members in a bedroom, insufficient bedrooms.
- Insufficient housing: family living with relatives/friends, in shelter, other temporary living situations, homelessness.
- High rent: 50% or more of family gross income spent on housing.
- Issue with landlord: inadequate landlord maintenance.
- Safety issues: unsafe neighborhood, insufficient fire exits, hazardous or toxic materials.
Willingness to partner with Habitat:
- Applicants must attend Family Partner Committee meetings.
- Applicants must complete sweat equity hours (400-500 hours) on the construction of their own or other Habitat home as well as required and recommended homeownership classes, dedications, Habitat events and other tasks.
- Disclosure of personal financial situation, including employment history, household income, and current debt burden.
- Participation in a condominium association, where applicable.
- Willingness to grant Habitat the first option to buy back the house.
- Qualified applicants for a Habitat home must be documented residents of the United States and first time homebuyers.
For questions contact our offices at 508-799-9259, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our offices at 11 Distributor Road, Worcester, MA 01605 Monday through Friday 9am-5pm.
The Family Selection Committee uses the criteria to select families in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, marital status or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there is no discrimination in housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, age, or national origin.
Habitat for Humanity Homeownership Interest Form
Please complete the following to be contacted directly regarding homeownership opportunities. THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION FOR HOMEOWNERSHIP. Habitat for Humanity MetroWest/Greater Worcester staff will contact you via the phone or email address provided with more information on upcoming opportunities.